- 1. Elephants Have Amazing Hearing
- 2. Elephants’ Skin is Sensitive
- 3. Elephants are Scared of Bees
- 4. Elephants Have Chins
- 5. Elephants are Sleepless
- 6. An Adult Elephant Requires Up to 300 Kilograms of Food and 160 Liters of Water Per Day
- 7. Elephants are Pregnant for Two Years
- 8. Elephants Can Smell Water from 12 Miles Away
- 9. Elephants are Good at Knowing Humans
- 10. One of the World’s Most Expensive Coffee Brands is Made of the Dung of Thailand Elephants
- 11. Elephants Can Detect Rain 150 Miles Away
- 12. Elephants’ Brains Can Weigh as Much as Five Kilograms, More Than the Brain of Any Other Land Animals
- 13. Mouse Sperm is Larger than Elephant Sperm
- 14. Elephants Understand Pointing
- 15. Elephants Can’t Jump
- 16. Elephants Cry, Play, Have Incredible Memories, and Laugh
- 17. Elephants Can Swim
- 18. Elephants Have Greeting Ceremonies When a Friend that has been Away for Some Time Returns to the Group
- Share this:
Elephants, without any doubts, are amazing creatures. So far, most people have a limited knowing about this animal: huge. Nope. Elephants are more than just “huge.” There are many cool facts about them that awaits to surprise you. Well, here they are:
1. Elephants Have Amazing Hearing
Elephants have good hearing, detecting sounds as low as 14 to 16 Hz (human low range: 20hz) and as high as 12,000 Hz (human high range: 20,000). Because one of these fun facts, elephants can hear one another’s trumpeting calls up to five miles (eight kilometers away).
Don’t you dare to talk about them behind their back! They do know it! :p
2. Elephants’ Skin is Sensitive
They do have thick skin, yet it’s pretty useless because elephants can get sunburned. That’s why they protect themselves with sand.
3. Elephants are Scared of Bees
These biggest mammals on earth are really terrified by the sound of angry bees, with the vast majority turning to run within seconds of hearing the sound of buzzing, the scientist said.
In line with the second fact about their thick skin, it is actually to be so thick that bee stings do not make any impression. But they just don’t know it yet. Hope they will someday.
4. Elephants Have Chins
Besides humans, elephants are the only mammals considered to display such a feature. And now you start touching your chins. :p
5. Elephants are Sleepless
Elephants are normally only sleep 2 or 3 hours each day. While the rest hours (16 to 21 hours) are spent for eating in a single day. What a truly hard worker……for foods. LOL
6. An Adult Elephant Requires Up to 300 Kilograms of Food and 160 Liters of Water Per Day
That is the amount of food that you need for stocks through the winter season. That’s why it is much advisable not to include the elephants into your family member.
7. Elephants are Pregnant for Two Years
If only it happens to humans, we may have a baby who can start walking and calling us mama/papa right after she/he is delivered to the world. HAHAHA.
8. Elephants Can Smell Water from 12 Miles Away
Imagine if the water is replaced by an ice cream! Elephants can smell that three times away, which can be 36 miles or even 50 miles.
9. Elephants are Good at Knowing Humans
Elephants can differentiate between men and women, and between different ethnicities when they hear a voice.
10. One of the World’s Most Expensive Coffee Brands is Made of the Dung of Thailand Elephants
Trumpeted as earthy in flavor and smooth on the palate, the exotic new brew is made of beans eaten by Thai elephants and plucked a day later from their dung. A gut reaction inside the elephant creates what its founder calls the coffee’s unique taste.
11. Elephants Can Detect Rain 150 Miles Away
If you want to know when it’s going to rain, ask the elephants. Apparently, they just know it.
“I know that city is now raining,” said one of the elephants.
12. Elephants’ Brains Can Weigh as Much as Five Kilograms, More Than the Brain of Any Other Land Animals
If only Einstein have had this brain, I am pretty sure he’s still alive until nowadays as he can create a machine that can slow down his body regeneration.
13. Mouse Sperm is Larger than Elephant Sperm
Well, said the scientists. For further information, please ask them. LOL.
14. Elephants Understand Pointing
There are two animals who understand pointing command on earth, which are dogs and elephants. But, unlike the dogs, elephants understand pointing without even being trained to recognize this human gesture, research has shown.
Elephant society may have selected for an ability to understand when others are trying to communicate with them, and they are thus able to work out what pointing is about when they see it.
15. Elephants Can’t Jump
Elephants are the only mammals on earth which cannot jump. They surely will make the earth shiver if they are able to jump.
16. Elephants Cry, Play, Have Incredible Memories, and Laugh
Please, don’t make them sad! *hug
17. Elephants Can Swim
Their massive bodies and tons of weights are nothing when it comes to the world of swimming. They are known to be very good, untiring swimmers. Moving all four legs to swim they are able to do so quickly and efficiently and even better than most mammals.
18. Elephants Have Greeting Ceremonies When a Friend that has been Away for Some Time Returns to the Group
NO, the ceremonies are not pool party done by teens in our country and often go crazy. Elephants do the ceremonies by wrapping their trunks together in displays of greeting and affection.
Those are elephant facts you can add to memory instead of only the largest land animals in the world.